London, UK, images; churches
Increased commercial use of the City of London resulting a decrease of residential population coupled with want of space necessitated the Union of Benefices Act 1860, which permitted the demolition of selected churches to make room for commercial developments and larger railway stations.
The site of St Mildred’s is marked with a blue plaque. St Mildred’s was badly damaged in the Great Fire of London 1666 and re-built. With the demolition, the cemetery was emptied and the dead re-buried in the City of London Cemetery.
“No smoking outside this side entrance. Please use the smoking area provided. Any persons found to be smoking in the restricted zone will be cautioned.”